What Sets Us Apart
Flags: There may be images/galleries that failed to load,
VIDA was a 1:1 school from the beginning. That means we have been doing it longer than almost everyone. This also means that students are checked out a Chromebook when they register, and we expect students to keep them in their possession until they leave VIDA. This means students can always be connected to the Internet doing research, exploring and collaborating. Insurance is available through VUSD for $20/year.
The core of our magnet experience is through unique opportunities specifically designed for students to develop their creativity, provide them technical skills & experience, and to actively engage in the Design Thinking process. Such Design Labs themes include: Game Design, Comedy Sketch, Skateboard Design, Sculpture/Ceramics, NASA Space Exploration, Entrepreneurship, Architecture, Rocketry & Flight, Robotics, Pintrest Creations, Psychology, Computer Technologies, Video Production, Photography, Innovative Garden Design, Wearable Technology, Coding, Creative Writing, Jewelry Design, Digital Music Design, Cryptozoology, Sea Perch Robotics, Hacker Scouts, Graphic Novels, and more!
Through these Design Labs, students participate in rotations for different experiences that build their strengths as designers and innovators. All students receive formal Public Speaking training. In addition, we use a rotation model to get students to work in our Qualcomm Thinkabit Replication Lab doing creative engineering feats!
A central part of our Magnet Theme is providing great opportunities for young people that we can not otherwise "fit" into the traditional school schedule. We use our Design Labs as flex time to do additional elements to prepare students for the future:
- Public Speaking - all students are formally trained in Public Speaking & communication Skills
- 6th Grade Tech Rotation - All 6th Graders beginning in the 2023-24 school year will have a special rotation around curating evidence of their learning, how to sort and apply that (ie: COL's), and develop their Personal Brand Websites, which is our version of a DigitalPortfolio.
- 6th Grade iStudio - In this rotation, all 6th Graders get intentionally trained in Dimensions 1-3 of Product Design. If you want students to have the skills to create beautiful work, you must first take the time to teach such things to them!
- 7th Grade Qualcomm Think-A-Bit Replication Lab - All 7th Graders learn how to code in C++ as a way to build "Robocalls Crafting" projects in this innovative learning space co-designed by Qualcomm Engineering Staff and our VIDA team.
- 8th Grade Laser Lab - Originally sponsored by Otter Box, this is a 3-week Rotation each semester where students learn about creating Value and our Dimensions of Entrepreneurial Learning. In addition, students learn basic CAD (Computer Aided Design) so that they can create something of value using our industrial grade Laser Cutter.
6th Grade Transition
6th grade students will gradually assimilate into middle school by interacting with other grades before school, after school, and in their Elective or Intervention classes. Each grade level has a separate lunch period, separate Design Lab period, and 6th grade students will all be scheduled into 6th grade PE together.
Strengths, Interests, and Values
Our schedule allows students a "touching-base" time to connect deeper with our Strengths, Interests, and Values. Students maintain a Personal Brand Website, and all 8th Graders produce a professional 8th Grade Resume documenting what they have done, what they can do, to help guide their aspirations for the future.
We offer an inclusive magnet model for all students. We offer robust, engaging and exciting course offerings in the S.T.E.M. subjects, the Humanities, and the Creative Arts. Like the most successful design firms in the world, we believe in the brilliance of joining together the minds, strengths and talents of diverse people in order to create the richest learning experience possible for students.
As an aspect of design, we offer a unique and innovative Physical Education experience for students. Because of our block schedule, we are able to revolutionize the way "PE" is approached and make a true Wellness experience.Students are able to choose from Dance PE, Aquatic PE, and Wellness that focuses on team sports, and fitness.
We offer a hybrid block schedule to maximize the learning time for all students. The schedule provides the necessary time for teachers and students to dig deep into their learning experiences. Students will see all of their teachers on Late Start Mondays, and then they will see their teachers every other day Tuesday-Friday. The exception is the student's Design Lab teacher. Design Labs meet 5 days a week.